Monday, March 26, 2012

A Wonderful, Beautiful, Exciting, Tiring, Love-Filled Year (Part 1)

I have started this post early, and then realized that it was going to be super long so over the next few days there will be a bunch of posts about my first year of being a mom. It really has been a year full of adventure!

I thought I might start with the things I couldn't have done without this year. I needed the right tools for the job, and although every baby and mommy is different these are my MUST HAVES:

1) BECO!! I still pull out my Beco Gemini Baby carrier at least two times a week (he sleeps in it/on me at Out and About). Seriously that thing changed my life when I first bought it. Yes, it was expensive but Dude HATED the snugili  we had, it was really worth every penny I paid for it. I have used it in the mall, grocery stores, when we are at gatherings... and even though he is 20-ish pounds I can still easily, and without discomfort carry him in a front carry(his favourite position).   As far as more expensive purchases I have to say this is one of the most used pieces of baby equipment I own (right up there with the car seat, which of course is a must-have).

2) Pump, yes breast pump. Those first six weeks of mommy-hood had me using this machine many, many times a day. We didn't buy said pump as it was hospital grade and I saw it on the website for $999.99! Instead we rented from a hole-in-the-wall pharmacy in Selkirk for much less (we bought certian pieces, but the actual pump was rented). If you have to pump on any kind of regular basis rent a hospital grade pump, it will save you time and energy.

3) People, in various forms and locations! It started with doctors and nurses who were amazing as complications at birth arose, so thankful for every decision that was made. The lactation consultant I saw in the hospital saved our breastfeeding relationship by giving me permission to do what I needed to do while giving me strategies to fight it out. My husband who got up in the middle of the nights, supported me in the struggles, and tried to give me breaks when I needed them. My mom who rescued us those first days with food, cleaning and support, and still gets phone calls from me asking advice. My sister who has been a wealth of information as we have hit every new stage. Friends with boys who have handed down clothes, we have hardly bought any clothes for dude, which has been awesome! Church ladies who brough dinner for us those first few weeks, And finally Mom's groups, who have provided a source of a social life for Dude and I over the last year, complete with yummy food, good visits, and some fun! 

Really those were my three biggest must-haves. Oh I had the swings, bouncy chairs, bouncer-roos, stroller, bassinet, change table, crib, toys, nursing pillow etc. but all of those things were extras, nice to have but not really necessary in the end. In fact Dude still spends his nights in our bed, and has only started napping in his crib in the last two months or so. Griffin's MUST HAVES included loving arms, food, clothes, and diapers, those he had without question!

No comments: