Monday, July 27, 2009

A Weekend Away



This weekend we embarked on our first camping trip. After running some errands and such in Winnipeg on Thursday morning/afternoon Jay and I headed to St. Malo Provincial Park. We set up camp in the rain/drizzle and I was thankful we had set the tent up in our basement so we had a clue what to do. I was pleasantly surprised with this campground. We had a very wooded and private site in Bay 9. Other than the campsite across the bay we couldn’t see or hear our neighbours. On the map it looked like we were a ways away from the nearest bathroom and the showers but with the many paths through the woods it wasn’t so far away.

The two of us enjoyed a quiet night and all day on Friday by ourselves. We enjoyed a walk to the beach and great cookie dough ice cream from the stand near the big beach. Our tent (thanks Mark and Jobina) has a big vestibule at the front. I was very thankful that during the showers we had we could sit in there and read, play cards, or eat.




Friday evening Joel and Ashley (and puppies) came to join us. They set up their camp and then we cooked dinner over the fire. The next morning breakfast was cooked and served at our site (we realized that Jay and I had too much stuff to haul back and forth so they came to us). We enjoyed another walk to the beach, more ice cream, and a sunny walk back to camp. Oh, and MANY discussions! In fact Joel and Jay mocked the chatter between Ashley and I (a sister is a great thing!!).
We brought so much food that after cooking it all up on Saturday night we realized we had more than we could eat! Of course we left room for wild berry pie irons for dessert!




Sunday morning the rain came and Joel and Ashley packed up quickly (the only benefit of a small tent is the quick set-up and take-down). Jay and I hung out and waited for the rain to stop before we packed up and headed home.
Jay and I have spent a lot of time with Joel and Ash this summer. I look back at our teenage years and laugh at the time we now spend together. I really enjoy that we now have a much closer relationship than we have ever had. I think it might have something to do with his wife, but none the less it is nice to be closer.

I really enjoyed the weekend away. I would recommend St. Malo campground to everyone, it was a great place to spend the weekend!

1 comment:

Hillary said...

That looks like fun! I'm glad you had such a good weekend! I'm sure you and Jay both deserved the break!
Hope you're having a good summer!