Wednesday, September 21, 2011

YUMMY!!

So after a few rough nights of many, many (like 4-5) night feedings we decided today was THE DAY! Griffin had "solid" food for the first time. He is sitting by himself (for a few seconds at least), interested in food, and HUNGRY! Let's face it my Little Bear is not so little! I sort of feel like it is too early (he will be five months on Saturday), but man did he eat and eat, so maybe he is ready! To make things even better I am sitting here on the computer, my baby is in his crib SLEEPING!! Not sure if it is because his belly is fuller or because he is getting older and less clingy.

He was so cute that we couldn't resist taking pictures and a little video (http://www.youtube.com/user/Boazapalooza#p/a/u/0/ItjeWF7yoiU) too!



So next step is baby food making! I really want to feed him the best food possible (hence the breastfeeding battle) so I am planning on making my own food over the next couple of days. I have a list of purees I want to make; apple, pears, peach, pea, carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, green beans (I will give him avocado and bananas too). I plan to introduce one at a time and wait four days before adding a new food. Should I make meat purees now too? What other yummy foods should I make? I am kinda looking forward to this new stage! :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Ash said...

Yay! And what a big step Griffin!

I did meat purees - actually they told me to start with that. I did chicken thighs (you want the fat), ground beef (but used my hand puree to smooth it out), and turkey. I couldn't bring myself to do fish, but she eats fish now so not too worried about not intriducing it earlier. Another good way to get protein is the meat alternatives like tofu and beans.

I did all sorts of weird things as you know - parsnips, beets, kidney beans (a favourite of hers for a long time), tofu, etc. I would recommend adding things that even maybe you and Jay don't eat. For example, I never cook brussel sprouts because I do not like them, but I think they stink, but I made them for Mika so she could experience them.

I have a bunch of literature on it, but you have a little bit to go since you'll do all the cereals before doing purees. (there are 3 types of single grain, then a mixed grain)

I hope this helps!

Sarah said...

Thanks Ash! I hoped you would post a comment. Meats are on the list to make then, I am with you on the fish though, I just can imagine running fish through my blender or the hand grinder. How long did you keep Meeks on only cereal for? I have read everything from don't start with cereal at all too.. Just wondering what you did??

Ash said...

I'm sure it was about a month of just cereal as we worked through each cereal "flavour".

Some people start their kids on purees by adding them to the cereal. I never did that, but not because I don't think it's a good idea, but because I usually never thought about it until after she was 1/2 way done the new food. lol

In mmy experience (and from friends I know who did this) kids will eat just about anything when they are starting, even if it takes a couple of tries. Then they will get fussy as a toddler (Although they say that is more of them expressing themselves usually before they can speak - one of the only ways they have control is by what goes or doesn't go into their mouths), but apparently that's just a phase and they will go back to eating anything.

Stear clear of strawberries and kiwi for awhile as they are high allergy, but mango is another good one. However I'd introduce more veggies in the beginning, as fruit is sweet and you craved it so much during your pregnancy I'm sure he'll gobble it right up! :)

Ash said...

P.s. I think it's hilarious that you said cousin Mikaela would hate that because she would!