Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Six Weeks!

Time has flown by but I can’t imagine my life without my Little Bear. He has me wrapped around his little finger, and has barely left my sight in 6 weeks. He sure has grown and changed in these 6 weeks, literally! I weighed him last weeks, and although he was dressed, he weighed 11 lbs 13 oz., that is three pounds more than last month!! Of course he is growing in other ways too, he is much more alert and interactive. We can get smiles from him, and he loves to “kick and flail”, he coo’s, he is getting into a routine that is somewhat predictable, and his neck muscles are getting much stronger. His biggest goal lately is to get is thumb in his mouth. The other day we were sleeping together in the rocking chair, when I woke up he was sucking away on his thumb, ever since he has kept trying, without luck. He just can’t figure out he needs to extend his thumb, his whole fist ends up in his mouth instead.

Our biggest struggle since coming home has been his eating, clearly he is getting enough, but not the way I want him too. Nursing is not his favourite activity. We finger fed for three weeks, but he was hungry and couldn’t get enough fast enough, so we gave in and began to use a bottle. I haven’t given up, in fact just yesterday he only nursed, no bottle, and today so far it has been the same. Of course now I wonder if he is getting enough... I like to know he is doing well, I felt the same when he came off the monitors in the NICU. What I have realized is how much extra time I have if I don’t have to pump, I guess I lose a step, and wow, right now he is sleeping and I am not pumping, but have eaten breakfast! I won’t be nursing in any place other than my living room for a while yert. If you didn’t know me you would think I am murdering my baby as I work to get him to latch, there is a lot of screaming, in a minute or two he realizes that food is available and eats and eats... silly boy!

We spent a weekend at my parents two weeks ago. He did pretty good away from home, but boy was he tired when we got back on Sunday afternoon. He did meet his Great Grandparents (Jay’s grandpa, and my grandma), and had his first cousin sleepover (Mika slept at my parents one night). He is now battling his first cold, his stuffy nose makes me sad, but he is not really complaining too much, he is sleeping more and like to get extra cuddles. He is enjoying being the youngest in the family but we are all waiting for the arrival of my neice or nehew. Ashley is due any time now, and Joel gets home tonight. I am looking forward to one more family memeber!

I have really loved this stage of mommyhood more than I thought I would. I already dread going back to work, I can’t imagine not spending all day with him!




Griffin and his Great-Grandma

2 comments:

Ash said...

1.) I love that he was able to spend the night with Meeks, and that she was cautiously curious about him. (was a little worried how she would react having to share grams and grumpa's attention)

2.) YAY for success on latching! You did it, and you should be so proud!!

3.) Hope Griffin is ready to be a big cousin, he'll need to show Bug the ropes. :)

Ash said...

oh and once Bug arrives, we will come up for another visit and my nephew is growing too fast. I've just been too chicken to be that far away from the city.... I know you understand.