Wednesday, April 4, 2007

When Do We Become Adults?

So I have ranted to a few people today… but I am going to continue to rant!
So here is the issue: I was recently invited to a wedding, but the invitation was addressed to my parents, brother, and I (and sent to my parents house). This irks me; I am an adult, I live away from my parents (and have for many years), and I feel like I should be getting my own invitations to weddings. Really the question is when does someone become an adult, and get treated like an adult? Would I have gotten my own invitation if I were married? If I had children? If I was 40 and still single? In all cases I would think so! So why, at 25 and not married, does it make it okay to send invitations to my parents? Grrrr!! I will leave my rant at that!
~Sarah

5 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Sarah,
Good question! I think that if you are 18 and married you will get a separate invite and if you are 29 and not single you won't. You must accept this! I personally think that for the wedding invitation thing, if you have moved out, you will be considered an adult when you turn 30. I don't know why this is so, it just is. The only way to get your own invite earlier is to be either famous or infamous. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I sure hope you don't have to sit at the "kids" table !
But, yes, you have a point.
~Mom

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, it's kinda dumb, lots of people are married at our age, they wouldn't be treated as such. This is discrimination against fabulous single (or not married) people!!

. said...

oh sarah... you know i can fell w/ you in this! i may be younger, and may not have been invited to a wedding via my parent's recently- (my personal belief is that if you are out of high school and live at a different address than your parents, you're ready to get your own invite) but oh i am tired of so often being treated like i'm 12! i could handle 16, maybe... lol
much much love,
dayna

Stacey said...

Well, if I was getting married, and you were on my list, you would receive your very own, personal invitation, (okay, it might be addressed to you AND Jay!!) Seriously, I did send all my cousins who were about 18 years and older, their own invitation. It's just common courtesy if you ask me!