Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BLEH!

So lately Dude has been asserting his independence and letting us know his likes and dislikes. It happens in everything: the back arch/throw back is a common occurrence when he wants up, down, or another parent, he whines when we aren't doing what he wants or when the book is over and he wants another story, but my oh my is it clearly evident in his eating! Dude was an AWESOME puree eater, he loved everything I made and spooned into his mouth, veggies, meat, fruit, beans, etc. were all hits! These days he won't let us feed him (the odd time I can be successful with a fork and spoon but not often), he needs to use his fingers to eat or he won't be eating. I could deal with it, the mess doesn't really bother me, and is pretty simple to clean up with a cloth or paper towel. However, these days he is getting more and more picky when it comes to WHAT he is eating, and this is driving me a bit crazy. Green Beans, blueberries, bananas, cheese, cream cheese, peas, carrots, corn, melon, seem to be on the "like" list, notice any type of meat is not on the list, and beans (like kidney) aren't there either. He will sometimes eat wraps and real oatmeal, but other grains are iffy. I have tried mixing tiny bits of chicken in cheese, tried a number of kids of meat, and trick him by stuffing the meat into his mouth as he tries to put something else in.
He drops the food he doesn't want onto the floor or "hoards" it in his chair so: HOW DO I GET HIM TO EAT MEAT?!


4 comments:

Jobina said...

don't. no seriously, there's nothing saying that kids have to eat meat. Check out the internet and find high sources of protein from other sources. My kids only liked sausage, bologna or hamburger if it was in something like lasagna. just this year they have actually tried a chicken drumstick!

Ash said...

I asked Dr. K about it and she said 90% of kids don't eat meat. She told me not to worry or "force" the issue. He'll come around when he is ready. Between the breast milk, and other foods he'll get enough nutrients. :)

Lindsey Dueck said...

My bro hated most meat until he was like 8 or 9. I am sure there are still some he doesn't eat and he is 11!

Sarah Boaz said...

I posted this and then he ate a ton of roast... go figure. He must be going through a phase of like, then don't like. I guess I really don't need to worry much!